Cummins Theatre opened on the 10th of October 1928.
The Theatre owns its existence in Merredin to James Hurtle Cummins, who owned Kalgoorlie Brewery. Cummins was planning to open a second brewery in Merredin and felt the town also needed a theatre. Cummins was a lover of the arts and had been on the board for several Goldfields Theatres.
Mr Cummins purchased the Tivoli Theatre, which had been built in Coolgardie in 1897, and had it dismantled and sent in pieces to Merredin by train. Here, the thirty-year-old Theatre was rebuilt where it stands today on Bates Street. Cummins Theatre, was renamed in honour of its founder.